Are you having trouble with gaining weight?
Many people seek ways to pack on the pounds without compromising their health. One of the best healthy weight gain approaches is using a meal replacement suited to your needs.
This article will provide an extensive overview of the five best meal replacement powders for weight gain on the market today.
If you’re in a rush, here are our top three recommended meal replacement powders to help you reliably gain weight.
LV10 = 10% off Transparent Labs
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Meal Replacements for Weight Gain
- 1.1 1) Best High Calorie Meal Replacement Powder: Mass Gainer by Transparent Labs
- 1.2 2)Best Vegan Meal Replacement Powder: Naked Vegan Mass by Naked Nutrition
- 1.3 3) Best for Lean Bulking Clean Meal – Kaged’s Meal Replacement Shakes
- 1.4 4) Best For Feeling Full: Mass Gainer by Crazy Nutrition
- 1.5 5) Best Budget Meal Replacement Powder for Weight Gain: Authentic MRP – Jacked Factory
- 2 Do You Need A Meal Replacement Supplement?
- 3 What to Look for When Buying a Meal Replacement Powder
- 4 Weight Gainer Benefits
- 5 Meal Replacement Powder Tips
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Final Thoughts
Top 5 Meal Replacements for Weight Gain
- Mass Gainer – Transparent Labs
- Naked Mass (Vegan) – Naked Nutrition
- Clean Meal – Kaged
- Mass Gainer – Crazy Nutrition
1) Best High Calorie Meal Replacement Powder: Mass Gainer by Transparent Labs
Calories, carbs, and protein contents are vital when choosing a great-tasting meal replacement shake to gain weight. Transparent Labs’ Mass Gainer offers the best extra calories option in a protein shake for diets with high-calorie intake due to its calorie-packed serving sizes.
Free of all GMO maltodextrin and grass-fed GMO – these weight gain shakes will undoubtedly appeal to people who love all-natural ingredients.
The 37% cholesterol may be a problem for some people, but it may be good news for others since those looking to gain muscle may want to consume more cholesterol.
A significant portion of the fiber is prebiotic, which may have some digestive benefits, and one serving alone has around a third of the recommended daily intake of calories.
The whey comes from grass-fed New Zealand cows, and MCT fats have been added, which may provide additional health advantages.
The drawbacks? There aren’t many vitamins (although many businesses add them to their mass gainers), and some people may be frustrated by the 1:2 protein to carb ratio because those who are genuinely trying to gain bulk occasionally prefer a ratio closer to 1:3 or even 1:5.
This meal replacement shake is produced using machinery that handles many allergens (e.g., eggs, soybeans, wheat, shellfish, fish oil, and peanut oil), so you might wish to avoid it if you have particularly sensitive allergies.
However, Transparent Labs does mention that their Mass Gainer has been made in FDA-Approved facilities and that the machinery is thoroughly sterilized in-between products. Please be aware that the Cookies & Cream flavor is not gluten-free.
Transparent Labs Mass Gainer – Nutritional Info
- Calories: 740
- Protein content: 53 grams
- Carbohydrate content: 109 grams (8 grams of fiber and 15 grams of sugar)
- Fat: 12 grams of fat (6 grams of saturated fat)
- Protein sources: 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Concentrate
- Carbohydrate sources: Organica tapioca maltodextrin, Oat flour, Sweet potatoes
2)Best Vegan Meal Replacement Powder: Naked Vegan Mass by Naked Nutrition
If you're looking to supplement your diet with clean, vegan-friendly calories, then Naked Mass is a great choice.
Naked Mass contains no extra additives or sweeteners so you can feel good about what you're putting into your body.
As a vegan, it may not be easy to find protein shakes for weight gain that is plant-based and clean. Naked Vegan can supplement a nutritious complete meal, help you gain muscle mass, up your protein intake, and gain weight.
This shake contains organic maltodextrin, which provides your body with 1250 calories, 252 grams of carbohydrates, 2.5 grams of fat, 5 grams of sugar, and 50 grams of protein in each 4-scoop serving. It also contains fast- and slow-digesting protein sources.
Neither gluten nor artificial sweeteners or additives are present in this weight gainer protein shake. It is available in Vanilla and Chocolate, with an unflavored option too.
The maltodextrin in Naked Vegan Mass’s meal replacement shakes comes from organic tapioca. The Naked Vegan Mass powder is GMO-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and hormone-free, and has no rBGH or rBST, just like all other “Naked” products. In addition, Naked Vegan Mass is cold processed without acid or bleaching.
Naked Nutrition’s Vegan Mass:
- Has organic Maltodextrin, Naked Pea, and Naked Rice as the only ingredients
- Contains no GMOs
- Is licensed as gluten-free, vegan, and soy-free
Naked Nutrition’s Naked Vegan Mass – Nutritional Info
- Calories: 1230
- Protein content: 50 grams
- Carbohydrates: 248 grams of complex carbs
- Fat: 4 grams of fat (0.5 grams of saturated fat)
- Protein sources: Yellow Organic Pea Protein, Brown Rice Protein
- Carbohydrate sources: Organic tapioca maltodextrin
3) Best for Lean Bulking Clean Meal – Kaged’s Meal Replacement Shakes
Clean Meal from Kaged is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a complete, balanced meal replacement powder without resorting to "dirty" bulking.
Clean Meal combines organic carbohydrate sources (quinoa and Swedish oats) with whey, fruits, and veggies to help provide a lean and clean source of protein, carbs, and fat.
Recommended for building lean mass!
This Kaged replacement shake is perfect for a weight gainer aiming for a lean body. It is a high-protein weight gain shake that can easily supplement a complete nutritious meal. This protein powder has essential vitamins and minerals to prevent unhealthy weight gain.
Oat flour is a complex carbohydrate with a low Glycaemic Index (GI) and is suitable for a steady fuel supply. Additionally, it encourages weight gain and satiation while controlling blood sugar and digestion.
To provide 28 grams of top-notch protein per two scoops, Kaged exclusively employs whey protein isolate (WPI) at 100 percent purity. Clean Meal, is the first MRP to use ioWhey.
ioWhey outperforms whey protein isolate and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate in at least four human clinical trials. According to the clinical trials, IoWhey has the following advantages:
- Less bloating
- Quicker recovery
- Increased performance
- Optimized lean muscle mass growth
Listed below are the main ingredients that Kaged adds to enhance the flavor, mixability, consistency, and texture of Clean Meal:
- Natural flavor
- Gum mixture (guar gum, gum acacia, xanthan gum) – thickening compound
- Stevia (as steviol glycosides), a natural sweetener
- Sucralose, a synthetic sweetener.
- Powdered cinnamon bark (only present in Snickerdoodle flavour)
Clean Meal by Kaged – Nutritional Info
- Calories: 240
- Protein content: 28 grams
- Carbohydrates: 18 grams
- Fat: 4.5 grams
- Protein sources: ioWhey enhanced Whey Protein Isolate
- Carbohydrate sources: Swedish oats, Organic quinoa
4) Best For Feeling Full: Mass Gainer by Crazy Nutrition
Crazy Nutrition’s Mass Gainer is a great meal replacement shake for gaining weight as it supports muscle growth while providing essential vitamins and minerals. It’s an excellent high-protein, complete meal replacement for a weight gain diet and won’t leave you feeling hungry for a meal.
Mass Gainer by CrazyNutrition is a complete meal substitute that prevents you from unnecessary eating binges. It is a balanced formula that primarily tries to raise the muscle-to-fat ratio rather than the fat-to-protein ratio.
It does not contain toxic carb-fillers that are bad for the health of your intestines, unlike conventional bulking agents. Instead, it is a creation, a gift from some incredibly committed nutritionists who see the value of staying healthy while packing on the pounds.
Each ingredient in its recipe has qualities that benefit your health and physical fitness. These components enhance muscle repair and growth without impairing physiological functions or hormone production.
According to experts, the ideal diet demands a 2:1 ratio of complex carbs to protein. As a result, your body receives 50g of protein for every 100g of carbohydrates. However, examining the protein content of other well-known muscle gainers reveals that they fall short of Crazy Nutrition’s Mass Gainer by 15-20 grams.
Apart from the fact that it is high in protein, numerous other elements contribute to its success. This involves using patented, scientifically-proven digestive enzymes and other substances to promote better digestion and nutrient absorption.
It was exclusively kept free of soy, gluten, and other artificial fillers to ensure complete safety, according to Crazy Nutrition. In reality, it uses Carb10, a superior substitute for maltodextrin that provides more immediate energy.
Crazy Nutrition’s Mass Gaineris one of the best meal replacements that fully caters to the development of muscle mass to achieve your fitness objectives. Its impacts don’t just extend to size expansion, though. It is a comprehensive recipe that goes above and beyond to assure Herculean strength.
Without the use of fillers like maltodextrin, this meal replacement for weight gain contains a recipe designed to help you become bigger, achieve your muscle gain goals, and speed up muscle recovery.
Mass Gainer by Crazy Nutrition – Nutritional Info
- Calories: 695
- Protein: 51 grams
- Carbohydrates: 100 grams
- Fat: 8.8 grams
- Protein sources: Whey Protein Blend
- Carbohydrate sources: Oat flour, Pea starch, Sweet potato
5) Best Budget Meal Replacement Powder for Weight Gain: Authentic MRP – Jacked Factory
Authentic MRP from Jacked Factory is a great choice for anyone looking to add a few extra calories into their daily routine. By combining whey protein, carbohydrates from pea starch, oat flour, and sweet potatoes, and natural fat sources, MRP makes it easy to add mass and gain weight while keeping a clean diet.
Jacked Factory offers well-balanced meal replacement shakes for weight gain or weight loss – with slow digesting complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and bioavailable whey protein. This value-for-money protein powder is perfect for muscle building and weight gain.
This is one of the world’s best meal replacement shakes as it gives your body vital nutrients without the unnecessary junk that slows you down.
You can refuel, recuperate, and achieve your goals while on the go with MRP, which is simple to digest, tastes excellent, and provides a convenient way to have a healthy meal replacement shake that can act as a nutritional supplement.
- Calories: 230
- Protein: 26 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Protein sources: Whey Protein Blend
- Carbohydrate sources: Oat flour, Pea starch, Sweet potato
Do You Need A Meal Replacement Supplement?
Meal replacement supplements come in various shapes and sizes – from high-calorie drinks for weight gain and appetite-suppressing protein bars. The meal replacement industry has great options for optimum nutrition to cater to everyone’s weight management needs, with many meal replacements that promote healthy living.
According to experts, a healthy diet includes fresh fruit and vegetables, healthy fat and oils, grains, whole grain, dairy, proteins, and seafood. Eating real food should be the preferred choice over using meal replacement shakes.
There are plenty of natural foods that are high in calories if you’re looking to gain weight. They’re often easy to prepare and a lot cheaper than using shakes, too.
Nuts, peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, eggs, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, chicken, pork, beef, and rice are all excellent sources of calories and, in many cases, protein. Eating a diet rich in these foods is sure to see you reach your weight goals in no time.
What to Look for When Buying a Meal Replacement Powder
It might seem obvious, but you’ll want your shake to taste good! If it’s going to be replacing meals, it will need to taste as good as the food you’re missing out on.
Thankfully, many meal replacement shakes come in delicious options such as vanilla and chocolate, so it shouldn’t be a struggle to find something you’ll enjoy.
Carefully check the labels and ingredient list to choose the best meal replacement drink for your needs. Ensure that your meal replacements offer a balanced combination of all three macronutrients and, optimally, some micronutrients, and try to avoid artificial flavors and colorants if possible.
The best meal replacement shakes should be a protein source and also contain carbohydrates and essential fatty acids. In addition, your meal replacements should provide you with a variety of vitamins and minerals, and fiber.
Avoid any shake with undisclosed ingredients – this is a huge red flag with any supplement and means the manufacturer could be disguising low-quality ingredients in their product.
Know your Goals
Weight gain goals vary from person to person. Some questions you might like to ask yourself include:
- How many extra calories do you want to consume?
- Check the calories per serving – some are higher than others, meaning you’ll need a smaller dose to get enough extra calories. Transparent Labs’ Mass Gainer is our favorite for those looking to pack in as many calories as possible.
- Do you care where those calories come from?
- Eating whole foods where possible is the best choice. Many people prefer to get their calories from protein, while others don’t mind carbs making up the bulk of the calories. In either case, check where the calories are coming from by consulting the label.
- Do you want a meal replacement powder that contains high amounts of sugar or not?
- Again, consult the label to check the sugar content. We all know that sugar is high in calories, but it’s not the healthiest way to consume additional calories if you’re looking to bulk up and build muscle.
- Are you trying to gain weight or just replace the nutritional value of a meal?
- This is a very important distinction. Some meal replacement powders double as weight gainers, while others are much “leaner” and lower in calories while still providing essential nutrients. You can’t go wrong by reading our reviews above.
Weight Gainer Benefits
The average male needs 2000 to 3000 calories daily, and the average female needs approximately 1600 to 2400 calories daily. That’s quite a lot of eating!
It’s an arduous task to meet these requirements consistently, and even if you do – you still may miss the mark on your body or goals.
Sometimes leading a busy life or other circumstances make it challenging to prepare a full meal. When you don’t have the time or access to a regular meal, meal replacement protein shakes are perfect for assisting you in acquiring the nutrients that make up a meal.
The dosage information is given on the label of meal replacement shakes, so they couldn’t be simpler to prepare.
All you have to do is add the required number of scoops to some water, milk, or a milk alternative, shake it up, and drink it! You won’t need to spend hours shopping, cooking, or counting calories in your meals.
You know the macros you’re consuming
Healthy weight-gaining methods allow you to track the macronutrients and micronutrients that go into your body, but it’s not always easy to do this manually. Sometimes you might not even know what’s in your food.
Enter the meal replacement shake.
Top-quality meal replacement shakes contain nutrients and micronutrients you will not be getting from your everyday diet. Good news if you’re working on gaining weight, as you will benefit from the added dietary fiber, digestive enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and protein.
With all the nutritional information clearly printed on the label, you won’t be left in the dark about what’s going into your body. Knowing how much protein, fat, and carbs you are consuming every time will make it so much easier to manage your weight gain goals.
Meal Replacement Powder Tips
- Use a macro tracker to track your calorie consumption and weight. This will help you dial in your TDEE.
- Calculate your TDEE. Once you know your TDEE, eat above it by about 300-500 calories per day to gain weight sustainably.
- Easy ways to add calories to meal replacement shakes? Add coconut oil, raw honey, and nut butter (e.g., peanut butter, almond butter, etc.). This adds flavor and even more vitamins and minerals to your diet.
- Read the ingredient list of meal replacement shakes. The best meal replacement shakes should be transparent with their ingredients – any underdosed or low-quality ingredients need to be avoided.
Why am I not gaining weight?
Numerous medical diseases have the potential to lead to unhealthy weight loss. Make an appointment with a doctor if you’re underweight so they can rule out any major health issues.
Where can I purchase meal replacement shakes for weight gain?
Health and wellness stores and many online retailers such as Amazon sell meal replacement shakes. You can also buy them directly from the manufacturer in many cases.
How do I slow down my metabolism to gain weight?
Calculate your calorie intake and eat food rich in calories. Get enough sleep and find a weight gain shake with a protein-rich formula. Limit your caffeine intake as caffeine boosts metabolism.
All of these meal replacement shakes are of premium quality. But which meal replacement powder reigns supreme?
CleanMeal by Kaged is filling, nutrient-dense, and contains clean and great-tasting ingredients. Suitable for a variety of dietary needs and lifestyles with innovative technology – CleanMeal by Kaged is the best meal replacement shake on the market.
Transparent Lab’s Mass Gainer was a close runner-up but this meal replacement powder has potential allergens, however, it was made in an FDA-approved facility. Mass Gainer’s meal replacement shake tastes great and allows for a healthy dose – but it can do more.
Naked Vegan’s plant-based protein shake and Kaged’s hyper-clean, immune system-boosting protein powders have many health benefits and are perfect for weight gainers living an active lifestyle.
The best meal replacement powder for weight gain varies between individuals, but no matter what your goals are – there is something for you available on the market!