This program is an 8 week hypertrophy training program inspired by Reddit user and strength coach /u/BigCoachD. Good for off-season powerlifting training, bodybuilding, or anyone looking to increase their work capacity and get bigger.
Bodybuilding Program Spreadsheets
Bodybuilding Routines for Hypertrophy and Mass
A bodybuilding program is designed to induce hypertrophy in the athlete's muscle, stimulating muscular growth. This is often done by exercising each body part approximately twice per week in a "splits" that target certain groups of muscle per training session.
Except in the case of the big 3 compound movements, bodybuilding routines rarely focus on working off of a percentage of a lifter's one rep max because they include so many accessory movements where a 1RM isn't always helfpul. Instead, the number of sets, amount of rest in between sets, and rep ranges are often manipulated to induce hypertrophy. Of course, the weight lifted helps achieve this goal too.
Below you'll find the latest bodybuilding routines and program spreadsheets. Also check out Lift Vault's powerbuilding programs, which also focus on inducing hypertrophy in the lifter.
Updated July 22, 2019: Converted spreadsheet from Excel to Google Sheet. Added notes on the cardio acceleration exercises.
Shortcut to Shred is a 6 week fat loss and muscle building workout routine by Jim Stoppani (who also created Shortcut to Size). It combines cardio exercises in between lifting sets to help maximize calories burnt during a training session without having the workout become exceedingly time consuming. [Read more…]
A 4 day split workout program is an exercise regimen that targets different muscle groups on different training days. Body parts are “split” into different training days, allowing recovery of those muscle groups while others are being worked in the next training session. Still, the term is somewhat flexible and can be applied to many different types of training. [Read more…]
The Fierce 5 workout is a great beginner bodybuilding program. It is a 2x weekly program that incorporates compound lifts and accessory movements to stimulate strength improvements and muscle growth. [Read more…]
Bodybuilding Routine FAQs
- What is a bodybuilding program?
- A bodybuilding program is a workout routine that emphasizes muscle growth (i.e. muscular hypertrophy) in the athlete. In contrast, a powerlifting program is designed with the goal of increasing an athlete’s one rep max in the squat, bench press, and deadlift.
- What is a good bodybuilding program for beginners?
- Will I get stronger running a bodybuilding program?
- If you are currently untrained, yes, running a bodybuilding program will increase your overall strength. If you measure strength based on one rep max or weight lifted in the 3 to 5 rep range, then no, a bodybuilding program will not likely increase your strength. They can, however, improve your work capacity, which can later lead to strength improvements.
- Will I lose weight running a bodybuilding program?
- Weight loss is predicated upon burning more calories than the amount consumed over time. Any exercise program can assist with burning calories, but the other critical component of this equation is diet. If you eat enough, you can gain weight while running a lifting program. Use a TDEE calculator and calorie tracker to help meet your weight loss goals.