Updated July 22, 2019: Converted spreadsheet from Excel to Google Sheet. Added notes on the cardio acceleration exercises.
Shortcut to Shred is a 6 week fat loss and muscle building workout routine by Jim Stoppani (who also created Shortcut to Size). It combines cardio exercises in between lifting sets to help maximize calories burnt during a training session without having the workout become exceedingly time consuming. Below are a Google Sheet and PDF.
It is a 6 day split workout that focuses on different muscle groups each day.
For example, this is how the first week of training is broken down:
- Day 1: Chest, Triceps, Abs
- Day 2: Shoulders, Legs, Calves
- Day 3: Back, Traps, Biceps
- Day 4: Chest, Triceps, Abs
- Day 5: Shoulders, Legs, Calves
- Day 6: Back, Traps, Biceps
Additional detail and nutritional recommendations are available in the PDF linked below.
Shortcut to Shred Program Tips for Success
First of all, read the PDF.
One of the most important bits from the PDF is about the cardio acceleration exercises.
- For Weeks 1-3 (i.e. Phase 1), perform 30-60 seconds of the corresponding cardio acceleration exercise after each set. For example, after each set of your Barbell Bench Press Warm Ups, do 30 to 60 seconds of bench step-ups.
- For Weeks 4-6 (i.e. Phase 2), you have two options.
- Option 1: Continue doing your cardio acceleration exercises after each set, like Phase 1.
- Option 2 (Hard Mode): Perform a “cardio acceleration rest-pause drop set” – this is when you perform your last set of an exercise to failure, run in place for 15-20 seconds, pick up the weight again and rep until failure, take 20% to 30% of the weight off the bar, and rep until failure one last time.
Shortcut to Shred Spreadsheet + PDF
Have feedback or a feature request? Let me know on this easy Google Form.