Caffeine supplements make for great stimulants when needing assistance with weight loss, focus for studying or working, or as a pre-workout before hitting the gym or the running tracks.
In this article, we will be looking into the 10 best caffeine pills currently available and explain to you why this choice outperforms other caffeine supplements currently on the market.
To jump right into answering the burning question, though: the best caffeine pills currently on the market are, hands down, Kaged’s PurCaf caffeine pills, as they deliver the best overall results thanks to their rounded-off formula.
- Best value caffeine pills
- Standard dose of caffeine
- Standard dose of caffeine
- Organic caffeine
- Low dose of caffeine
- Contains L-Theanine
Table of Contents
- 1 The 10 Best Caffeine Pills
- 1.1 1. PurCaf Caffeine Pills – Kaged
- 1.2 2. Caffeine + – Performance Labs
- 1.3 3. Caffeine Capsules – Bulk Supplements
- 1.4 4. Caffeine Pills – Nutri Cost
- 1.5 5. Caffeine Pills – Genius
- 1.6 6. Caffeine with L-Theanine (1:1) – Nutricost
- 1.7 7. Caffeine with L-Theanine (1:2) – Symnutrition
- 1.8 8. Caffeine with L-Theanine (2:1) – SmarterVitamins
- 1.9 9. Animal Energy – AnimalPak
- 1.10 10. L-Theanine – Double Wood
- 2 What to consider before buying Caffeine pills
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
The 10 Best Caffeine Pills
- PurCaf Caffeine Pills – Kaged
- Caffeine + – Performance Labs
- Caffeine Capsules – Bulk Supplements
- Caffeine Pills – Nutri Cost
- Caffeine Pills – Genius
- Caffeine with L-Theanine (1:1) – Nutricost
- Caffeine with L-Theanine (1:2) – Symnutrition
- Caffeine with L-Theanine (2:1) – SmarterVitamins
- Animal Energy – AnimalPak
- L-Theanine – Double Wood
We have tried and tested basically any caffeine supplement on the market, and these are the best caffeine pills in 2022:
1. PurCaf Caffeine Pills – Kaged
Each capsule of Purcaf Caffeine contains 200 mg of pure organic caffeine.
There are no artificial sweeteners, fillers, or coloring - just the energy you need to get the job done.
Hands down, these are the best caffeine pills on the market! They offer organic, natural caffeine to boost your physical performance and mental focus without any added chemicals, and they are gluten-free. Plus, customers get to choose between capsules made of gelatin or vegetarian-friendly cellulose!
Each of these capsules contains 200 mg of caffeine per serving, without any other unwanted ingredients.
- Organic coffee
- Chemical- and synthetics-free
- Water soluble
- Pure caffeine without any extras
- 200 mg of caffeine (not too little, not too much)
If you would want other ingredients or dietary supplements such as collagen or vitamins, then this is not the best caffeine pill for you. But, as we believe that pure caffeine pills are typically the best way to go, we can highly recommend this as the best natural stimulant available.
2. Caffeine + – Performance Labs
Caffeine + is a good choice for those seeking a low dose of caffeine to keep them going. It also contains L-Theanine and L-Tyrosine to promote focus and stress reduction.
Caffeine+ is a great low dose caffeine pill for those just starting out with taking caffeine. As the best low-dose caffeine pill currently on the market, Performance Lab offers this pill with only 50 mg of caffeine per serving.
The lower dose promises fewer potential side effects and a more relaxed energy supply without being followed by crashes or withdrawal symptoms. This is also due to the added dietary supplements that can be found in the ingredient list of this pill:
- Riboflavin + (Vitamin B2) – 500 mcg
- Vitamin B6 + – 750 mcg
- Folate (Vitamin B9) – 167 mcg
- Vitamin B12 + – 2 mcg
- Natural Caffeine – 50 mg
- L-Theanine – 100 mg
- L-Tyrosine – 250 mg
- Suitable for vegans
- More gentle caffeine effects
- Lots of B vitamins to aid in active recovery and prevent crashes & protect brain health
- Pure caffeine
- Too low doses for people with high caffeine tolerance
- Not just caffeine in the capsules
3. Caffeine Capsules – Bulk Supplements
Bulk Supplements specializes in no-nonsense, affordable supplements. Their caffeine pills are no different.
It's 120 capsules, each with 200 mg of caffeine anhydrous. Nothing less, nothing more.
This is the budget pick under the caffeine capsules. For an unbeatable $12.96, you will get 120 capsules of pure 200 mg caffeine-filled pills with no other ingredients. This amount is perfect for someone that is used to drinking coffee or energy drinks regularly and can therefore deal with a little bit of a higher caffeine balance than beginners.
- Value for money
- No additives
- No sugars
- Pure caffeine pill
- Synthetic caffeine powder
4. Caffeine Pills – Nutri Cost
If you are not completely new to caffeine supplements (or just enjoy drinking several cups of coffee a day) but are also not too keen on too highly concentrated caffeine, then Nutri Cost’s caffeine pills are the perfect compromise for you!
- Same caffeine intake as energy drinks minus the calories
- Smaller-sized capsules for easy intake
- Not-veggie or vegan-friendly (gelatin capsules)
5. Caffeine Pills – Genius
Genius caffeine pills probably provide the best-extended energy boost as their unique formula makes for an even release of caffeine over the course of six hours, which will prevent you from getting the jitters of an overdose as well as an extreme crash from when the caffeine wears off!
Each vegan capsule provides 100 mg caffeine that comes in the form of 167 mg Vitashure (trademarked ingredient) and is free of additives or unwanted ingredients, except for Ascorbyl (Vitamin C) and cellulose which are both parts of the capsule itself and are in doses too small to even note down.
- No-crash formula
- Long-term energy levels
- Vegan-friendly capsules
- “only” 100 mg of caffeine
- trademarked ingredient Vitashure (not 100% sure of the formula)
- Lab caffeine
6. Caffeine with L-Theanine (1:1) – Nutricost
If you are looking for the best caffeine with l-Theanine pills on a one-to-one ratio, then look no further. Nutricost has released these caffeine tablets, which offer 100 mg of caffeine as well as 100 mg of l-theanine, making it an evenly balanced formula.
Most caffeine pills on our list come without any extra ingredients, but as we will explain a little further below, some ingredients, such as l-theanine, are actually beneficial when added to a caffeine pill.
- Best caffeine/ l-theanine ration (1:1)
- No artificial additives
- Not veggie or vegan-friendly (gelatin capsule)
7. Caffeine with L-Theanine (1:2) – Symnutrition
For a higher dosage of L-Theanine, we recommend Symnutrition. They offer a 1:2 caffeine and l-theanine ratio which can be extremely beneficial.
- Vegetarian Capsules
- Highly concentrated L-Theanine
- No artificial additives
- Relatively low caffeine levels (100mg)
8. Caffeine with L-Theanine (2:1) – SmarterVitamins
The previous options both offer a relatively low caffeine dose of only 100mg, so if you would like a little extra kick – go for these amazing caffeine pills from SmarterVitamins.
- No extra ingredients
- Higher caffeine dose
- Non-vegetarian capsules
- Less L-Theanine as Symnutrition
9. Animal Energy – AnimalPak
These are the strongest caffeine pills on our list, with a whopping 300mg per pill, so you are definitely going to get the kick you need for your next gym session and feel boosted mentally and physically.
Their two-stage formula hits quickly but will give you a long-lasting effect. Thanks to its special Animal Energy formula containing extra Green Tea, Guarana, Kola Nut, and Yerba Mate extract, you have many ingredients working together to boost your energy for the long term and more organically than a formula with just caffeine.
- 300mg caffeine (strongest dose)
- long-lasting two-stage formula
- extra boosters such as Guarana, Green Tea etc.
- Not just caffeine in the formula
- Not vegetarian/ vegan friendly
10. L-Theanine – Double Wood
Last but not least, this is the best standalone L-theanine supplement to take with your caffeine pills. Some of the caffeine pills in our list do not come with this ingredient in their formula, even though it is a highly beneficial addition for long-lasting and more sustainable effects of caffeine pills.
Therefore, we recommend adding Double Wood’s l-theanine pills!
- 200mg l-theanine per capsule
- Pure l-theanine
- Can be taken by itself as well
- Need to take caffeine pills separately
- Non-vegan friendly
What to consider before buying Caffeine pills
You should know what to look out for and understand the common benefits as well as side effects that are related to caffeine supplement consumption.
How to choose the best Caffeine pills
Depending on what you want to achieve, the description and dosage of your caffeine pills will vary, obviously. But, there are generally some things to look out for that will ensure you are choosing the overall best caffeine pill for you:
Every brand should openly disclose which ingredients and how much caffeine is in each caffeine pill they sell. This means there shouldn’t be any “proprietary blends” or ingredients in your caffeine pills that you have absolutely never heard of.
Make sure the dosage of caffeine is also always clearly indicated.
2. Value for Money
If the pills you are planning to buy will make your average daily $5 Starbucks coffee look cheap, then you should reconsider whether it is worth investing in and whether the brand is not overpromising and asking for too much.
3. Other ingredients
Remember, you are not buying a Vitamin C pill where other Vitamins, et cetera, are a welcome support to your immune system. You are buying a caffeine pill, and therefore the main ingredient in this supplement should be caffeine.
The ingredients listed below will help you maximize the effectiveness of your caffeine pills:
- L-Theanine – This amino acid is also found in green tea and will further support the performance-enhancing benefits of caffeine and also reduce the possibility of some of the unwanted side effects (which we will discuss below). If you are looking for a suitable caffeine supplement, we recommend Nutricost’s Caffeine with l-theanine capsules.
- L-Tyrosine – This amino acid restores brain chemicals focussed on the performance of your body and mind, which will get burned up when taking caffeine pills.
- B-Complex – When added to caffeine tablets, B-Complex will assist in keeping your nutritional balance level in order to sustain your energy levels for longer. Performance Lab has some of the best caffeine pills with b vitamins, in case you are interested in the benefits of adding these to your daily caffeine capsules.
The benefits of caffeine pills
Here are some of the key benefits of taking caffeine pills (if taken properly):
1. Cognitive Performance
We all know that coffee and energy drinks help us gather our focus and mental strength while studying or working. This is because our cognitive performance gets improved by taking caffeine. Here’s how:
- Stimulated by caffeine, your neurotransmitters increase their activity to release dopamine, epinephrine as well as acetylcholine, and serotonin.
- Caffeine can boost neuroprotective and neurodegenerative processes in the brain by boosting gene expression and assisting with memory and emotional stability.
- Caffeine is a natural mood booster by promoting the release of brain chemicals such as domain and serotonin as well as GABA in your brain.
2. Athletic Performance
Caffeine pills have the ability to aid in athletic performance enhancement.
The improved emotional stability, alertness, and mental focus provided by caffeine can improve the central nervous system to aid with high-intensity training and the competitive performance of athletes and gym-goers.
A lot of studies suggest that caffeine pills can be associated with increased strength as well as endurance during workouts in the gym as well as faster sprint performance when running on the tracks.
Another effect caffeine pills can have, which may be beneficial when working out, is their analgesic effect (i.e., the pain-relieving effect). This can assist with sports performance as well as recovery after a hefty workout.
3. Weight loss
The intake of caffeine, either through caffeine pills, caffeine supplements, or drinking coffee (without milk or sugar!), can promote thermogenesis and energy intake as well as improve the body’s ability to burn calories, i.e., oxidize fat.
Though further research is required, studies suggest that caffeine supplements can aid in weight management.
Negative side effects of Caffeine pills & precautions to take
Unfortunately, even though caffeine is a natural stimulant that can offer mental alertness and other potential health benefits, caffeine consumption can also lead to adverse effects if not done correctly.
Apart from your caffeine intake being too low to actually boost your performance, many products can also have so-called megadoses, which will equally fail to boost your performance in the desired manner.
Excessive caffeine intake or taking caffeine pills with doses that are beyond the recommended level by the FDA can lead to the following side effects (which will not only stifle your mental and physical performance but can also seriously harm your physical health):
- Elevated heart rate and heart palpitations
- Sleep deprivation
- Mood swings
- Jitters, shakiness, and heightened nerves
- Mental Fog and headaches
- Nausea or gastric distress
- Acid reflux
- Constricted blood flow
- Withdrawal symptoms
As an example, caffeine tablets that contain 200 mg or more are going to give you far too jittery physical sensations and will not assist you in achieving the mental focus or physical performance enhancement you are looking for. On the contrary, they will lead to bodily discomfort and potentially heavy crashes followed by withdrawal symptoms.
Best to start with caffeine capsules that come in low doses and slowly increase your intake to build up some tolerance instead of diving straight into a very uncomfortable or perhaps even dangerous caffeine overdose.
You should avoid caffeine pills mixed with energy drinks and should rather stick to one or the other. It is also not recommended to take them too close to times when you are looking to go to sleep.
According to the FDA, any caffeine dose below 400 mg will not pose any adverse health risks. Take note, however, that caffeine tolerance builds as you increase dosages. That does not mean that you should, though!
Some caffeine pills offer a caffeine dosage of 500 mg per serving, which is an insane amount of caffeine to take at once! In comparison, one cup of coffee will usually hold around 95 mg of caffeine.
So consider how much coffee you usually drink during the day and which cup usually makes you feel dizzy and shaky (whether it’s number 3 or number 5 – we don’t judge, but you should know your limits). This is a good way to know how much caffeine your body can handle.
Dirty formulas basically refer to brands that offer their own proprietary blend of caffeine with other ingredients and do not specify exactly how much caffeine their dosages have.
This can be dangerous as too much caffeine will have adverse effects on your health, as we already discussed, and too little caffeine simply won’t work at all, and you will therefore have spent your money for nothing.
Another problem with these illusive formulas is that they are usually overloaded with additives which might not assist with a healthy lifestyle or a better workout. To name some of these additives:
unnecessary amounts of sugar
Therefore, rather stay away from brands that don’t offer specific dosages on their ingredient list and just use ominous words such as “complex,” “blend,” or “matrix,” etc.
There are several reasons why you shouldn’t be taking caffeine pills. For instance, if you are a child under 12 years old, are trying to become pregnant, are pregnant or are breastfeeding, and if you are taking any of the following medications:
We recommend speaking to your doctor if you are taking any medication daily, even if we haven’t named it in this article, as we do not qualify to give medical advice.
Many caffeine supplements tend to fail either due to the doses being too low or because they are mixed with other unnecessary additives and ingredients that might actually have other effects that you aren’t looking for when taking caffeine as a supplement.
Others can provide you with unnatural megadoses, which might harm your overall health and come with nasty side effects.
Finding the right caffeine supplement for you can therefore feel quite tricky and overwhelming.
But it doesn’t have to be if you’re simply going with the best and cleanest caffeine capsules on the market from Kaged. Their PurCaf caffeine pills will provide you with clean and sufficient energy for your mental focus and workout goals.