Are you having trouble gaining weight?
If you feel like you can never seem to eat enough during the day, then a weight gainer could be just what you need to boost your calorie intake in the most convenient way.
And unlike typical protein powders, weight gainer supplements are rich in carbs and healthy fats too – not only in protein, so hitting your macros can be a piece of cake.
However, not all weight gainers are created equally; sadly, thousands of bad-quality supplements out there may do more harm than good.
So, if you’re trying to find the best weight gainer supplements for teenage athletes, they’re right here in this guide!
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know so you can smash those aesthetic goals.
Just want the best?
If you just want to know which product received the distinction of best weight gainer for teens, that honor goes to Mass Gainer from Transparent Labs.
It delivers 730 calories of clean carbs, protein, and fats from natural sources to help pack on weight and muscle mass in a way you can feel good about.
Other recommended supplements for teens:
- Best Lactose-Free Weight Gainer Supplements (for lactose intolerants or vegans)
- Best Lactose-Free Protein Powders (for lactose intolerants or vegans)
- Best Creatine for Teens
- Best Pre-Workout for Teens
- Best Protein Powder for Teens
- Best Multivitamins for Teens
Table of Contents
- 1 The 4 Best Weight Gainers For Teens
- 2 Do Teens Need A Weight Gainer Supplement?
- 3 What to Look for When Buying a Weight Gainer
- 4 Benefits Of Taking A Supplement To Gain Weight
- 5 Weight Gainer Tips
- 6 The Verdict
The 4 Best Weight Gainers For Teens
- Mass Gainer – Transparent Labs
- Clean Meal (Meal Replacement Powder) – Kaged
- Authentic MRP – Jacked Factory
- Extreme Mass – NutraBio
1. Mass Gainer – Transparent Labs
First on the list is the very best overall weight gainer for teens – a truly incredible product by Transparent Labs.
Whether you’re looking for the perfect easy meal replacement, a high-protein boost for your intense weight training routine, or simply some extra calories and macros to aid your nutrition regime – you’ve got it right here.
Mass Gainer is one of the purest, most effective muscle-building and weight-gaining formulas available. It provides a whopping 53 grams of protein (sourced from 100% grass-fed whey protein powder), 3,000 mg of creatine monohydrate, and 109 grams of natural, clean carbs (from organic tapioca, oat, and sweet potato) in every serving.
Did we mention it comes in super tasty flavors: Sweet Vanilla and Chocolate Glaze Donut? These flavors should be appealing to any teenager!
- Calories: 760
- Protein: 53 g
- Carbohydrates: 109 g
- Fat: 13 g
Key Ingredients (Chocolate Glaze Donut Flavor):
- Grass-Fed Whey Concentrate
- Coconut Milk Powder
- Natural Chocolate Flavor
- Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCT)
- Creatine Monohydrate
- Sodium Chloride
- Oat Flour
- Sweet Potato Powder
- Monk Fruit
2. Clean Meal – Meal Replacement Powder – Kaged
Clean Meal from Kaged is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a complete, balanced meal replacement powder without resorting to "dirty" bulking.
Clean Meal combines organic carbohydrate sources (quinoa and Swedish oats) with whey, fruits, and veggies to help provide a lean and clean source of protein, carbs, and fat.
Recommended for building lean mass!
If you’re looking for an excellent meal replacement powder that is lower in calories – compared to the Transparent Labs option above – look no further, because Clean Meal is one of the best supplements for weight gain!
In fact, we recognized it on our list of the best meal replacement powders for gaining weight.
For those looking to gain weight or add mass, we recommend drinking this with milk in addition to your normal diet. This will help you accomplish being in a caloric surplus, which is required to gain weight.
As the name suggests, Clean Meal’s formula was developed for those who want to prioritize clean eating and optimal health, all with the convenience of drinking an ultra-delicious shake (Snickerdoodle or Vanilla Cake, anyone?). In fact, we featured Clean Meal on our list of the best tasting mass gainers for this very reason!
This weight gainer is totally guilt-free and is sure to help get you those results, thanks to:
- 28 grams of protein from whey isolate
- 21 organic vitamins and minerals
- 6,5 grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)
- 18 grams of clean carb (Swedish oats, organic quinoa)
- 0% added sugar, artificial flavors, or synthetic colors
- Calories: 240
- Protein: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Oat Flour
- Organic Quinoa
- Medium-Chain Triglycerides
- Fruit and Vegetable Extract Blend (Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Sunflower Seed, Kelp, Chlorella, Maitake Mushroom, Shiitake Mushroom)
- Cinnamon Bark Powder
3. Authentic MRP – Jacked Factory
Authentic MRP from Jacked Factory is a great choice for anyone looking to add a few extra calories into their daily routine. By combining whey protein, carbohydrates from pea starch, oat flour, and sweet potatoes, and natural fat sources, MRP makes it easy to add mass and gain weight while keeping a clean diet.
When it comes to premium quality ingredients, Authentic MRP is by far the best value meal replacement powder for teenage athletes (plus, it’s also a great low-calorie option).
If you’re someone who is always on the go and you want sustainable muscle growth, don’t sleep on this awesome product.
Besides the fact that it’s easy to digest and tastes really good, Authentic MRP contains no added sugars, no cheap “creamers’, and no artificial food dye.
Only pure, high-quality ingredients, like grass-fed whey protein isolate (providing 26 grams of protein), MCT oil powder, and Carb10 pea starch (20 grams of complex carbs), make the perfect nutrient-filled shake to help you crush those goals!
- Calories: 230
- Protein: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
- Grass-Fed Whey Protein Concentrate
- MCT Oil Powder
- Carb10 Pea Starch
- Oat Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Sweet Potato Powder
- Himalayan Rock Salt
4. Extreme Mass – NutraBio
Extreme Mass combines 70% high-quality, fast-absorbing whey protein concentrate (WPC80) with 30% slower-absorbing casein protein to help ensure maximum recovery and muscle growth.
NutraBio is known for delivering the absolute best when it comes to product quality and their Extreme Mass weight gainer supplement is no exception.
LIFTVAULT = 15% off at Nutri Cartel
Extreme Mass hasearned an honorable mention on this list thanks to its state-of-the-art muscle growth formula.
It contains an impressive 53 grams of high-quality protein – 70% is sourced from pure whey protein concentrate (WPC80) for fast absorption into the muscles, and 30% is from pure micellar casein for slow release protein absorption. It also contains a massive 12 grams of branched-chain amino acids.
In addition, NutraBio uses Clean Carb technology to fuel your body with 104 grams of slow-release long-chain polymetric fraction carbohydrates to enhance positive nitrogen retention, speed up recovery rate, and build your muscles like never before.
- Calories: 650
- Protein: 53 g
- Carbohydrates: 100 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC80)
- Micellar Casein
- MCT Powder
- Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin
Do Teens Need A Weight Gainer Supplement?
Is a weight gainer supplement actually necessary?
While weight gainer powders can be extremely beneficial thanks to how convenient they are for getting in those extra calories, eating real food should always be your number one priority.
Focus on incorporating a variety of whole foods, such as:
- nuts and seeds, including nut butter (peanut or almond butter) andseed butter (tahini, sunflower seed butter)
- healthy oils (coconut, olive, avocado oil)
- whole grains (oats, rice, quinoa, bulgar wheat)
- legumes (chickpeas, lentils, beans)
- fruits and vegetables
- chicken, fish, beef
Besides these foods being excellent sources of calories and protein, a well-balanced diet of minimally processed foods will also result in improved overall health – which is key to reaching your fitness goals. For additional advice on gaining weight, check out our diet tips for hardgainers.
If you already follow a generally healthy diet but you’re finding it difficult to gain weight, then a mass gainer could be just what you need for that extra boost to achieve your desired physique.
On the other hand, if your diet is poor, then adding more processed calories probably isn’t the best idea.
What to Look for When Buying a Weight Gainer
If you’re going to be consuming a weight gainer regularly for a long time (which is likely the case if you want to maintain your progress), then it’s a huge plus if you can change up the flavors.
Think about it, yes – chocolate ice cream is super delicious, but eating it every single day would quickly result in it losing its novelty – and the same certainly applies to your daily shake.
All of the supplements on this list come in a variety of different flavor options, meaning you can switch to a new flavor (that tastes great) every time you finish the tub.
Know your goals
When choosing a weight gainer supplement, you need to consider your goals and what you’re looking to gain from taking a supplement.
Asking yourself the following question will make your decision easier:
- How many extra calories do I want to consume to achieve my desired results?
- What proportion of my daily calories should be coming from whole foods?
- What are my macro goals? (Do I want the bulk of my calories coming from protein or mostly from carbs?)
- Do I want to use a weight gainer as a regular meal replacement shake or more as an addition to my existing meals? (a high-calorie vs. a low-calorie supplement)
Benefits Of Taking A Supplement To Gain Weight
Convenience: Save Yourself Time
Making a weight gainer shake is undoubtedly a whole lot quicker than preparing a meal. You’ll simply need to add a scoop (or two) of your gainer into some milk or water – and you’re ready for action!
It’s an awesome option if you’re looking for a more convenient way to receive a combination of complex carbs, healthy fats, essential amino acids, as well as vitamins and minerals – without needing to cook the whole time.
As a teen, juggling your studies, strength training, getting enough rest, and ensuring you’re getting enough nutritious calories with the right macro and micronutrients is not easy.
But supplementing with a weight gainer can definitely give you that extra boost that you need to reach your goals.
Easily Reach Your Calorie Requirements
Ever feel like your stomach is a bottomless pit? As in, you really have to eat, and eat, and eat more to put on weight (or even just to maintain your current weight).
Taking a weight gainer supplement is a much easier way to meet your daily calorie needs (eating a lot is hard work) and can be very helpful when it comes to consuming adequate protein to build muscle and prevent weight loss.
In addition, you’ll know the exact macros that you’re getting with each serving, meaning you’ll be aware of how much protein, fats, and carbs you’re consuming – which is essential for making sure you’re eating more calories than your total daily expenditure (TDEE).
Weight Gainer Tips
Muscle growth (and thus weight gain) requires a positive energy balance. This means that you need to be in a calorie surplus – consuming more calories than your body burns.
Here are some pointers to help you build that lean muscle mass quickly, easily, and effectively:
- Use a macro tracker to track your calorie consumption and weight. This will help you dial in your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). This is crucial. It’s virtually impossible to know if you’re eating enough if you aren’t measuring your progress.
- Calculate your TDEE. Once you know your TDEE, make sure that you eat above it by about 300 to 500 calories per day to gain weight in the most sustainable fashion.
- Up your calories quickly by eating more at each meal and eating more often, whether it means eating more than 3 meals a day, or eating healthy snacks regularly.
- If you’re really trying to bulk up, take your weight gainer powder along with 16 oz of whole milk to add 300 calories and 16 grams of protein per serving.
- You can easily add more calories to your shakes by mixing in some coconut oil, raw honey, oats, nut butter (like peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter), and fruit (like bananas or avocado).
- If you’re trying to boost your protein intake without consuming a ton of extra calories, simply add 16 oz of skim milk (or soy milk as a plant-based alternative) to your daily weight-gain powder mixer.
While struggling to gain weight is certainly very frustrating, it doesn’t have to be a challenge!
Of course, you should first focus on improving your diet and consuming enough calories to suit your body’s needs by eating whole foods. However, a weight gainer supplement can certainly make crushing your goals a whole lot more attainable!
For teens on the go, the ultimate weight gainer is Mass Gainer by Transparent Labs.
This high-calorie meal replacement shake is loaded with everything you could possibly want in the perfect weight gainer supplement!
And if you’re searching for a lower-calorie option that’s just as good, try one of the other awesome products on this list, like Clean Meal – Meal Replacement Powder by Kaged.
Lastly, when it comes to choosing a good weight gainer supplement for teens, make sure it ticks all of the following boxes:
- a minimum of 25 grams of protein
- easily digestible carbs
- high-quality, science-backed ingredients
- third-party tested
- fully-disclosed ingredient label (no mysterious “propriety blends”)
- it meets your specific calorie and macro requirements