Pre-workout is pretty awesome, but it’s always really expensive. Unless it’s homemade!
Making your own pre-workout is a great way to save serious cash while knowing everything that goes into your body and getting amped for a killer workout.
Here’s a quick breakdown of:
- how to make your own pre-workout
- where to buy the necessary ingredients
- a cost comparison of popular supplement brands
How to Make Your Own DIY Pre Workout
The best researched ingredients to make your own pre-workout are:
- Caffeine -- 200mg
- Beta Alanine -- 3-4 grams
- L-citrulline -- 6-8 grams
- MiO Flavor Drops -- 1 squeeze
- Or whatever your preferred flavoring agent is. Kool Aid powder, Gatorade powder, flavor drops, etc. all work fine.
Creatine, which is sometimes included in PWO, is not included on the list because it is not necessarily useful as a strict pre-workout supplement. Instead, it should be taken whenever is convenient for athletes as a dietary supplement that supports power output and fatigue reduction.
How To Beast has a pretty cool video that shows their process.
Where to Buy Pre Workout Ingredients
Here are the cheapest and most reliable places to buy caffeine, beta alanine, and l-citrulline:
- Beta Alanine
- Amazon -- Bulk Supplements: L Citrulline DL Malate 2:1 Powder (500 grams) -- $22.96 (5 cents per gram)
- Amazon -- Bulk Supplements: L Citrulline Powder (500 grams) -- $22.96 (5 cents per gram)
- While most of the cited research only studied L Citrulline without malate supplementation, some claim that the malate addition boosts blood flow, enhancing energy. If you’re confused over which to buy, the truth is that it probably doesn’t make much difference for most athletes.
Scientific Research Supporting Recommended Ingredients
I highly recommend using Examine to help understand the published research for a given supplement.
The following snippets are all sourced from that site.
Beta Alanine Research:
Cost Savings of Homemade Pre Workout vs. Major Brands
Based on a recommended dosage of 200mg of caffeine, 8 grams of L-citrulline, and 4 grams of beta alanine, DIY pre workout costs about $0.65 per dose while almost always providing more of the ingredients that are proven to work!
Compare that to the leading brands:
- Cellucor C4 -- $29.99 for 30 doses ($1.00 per dose)
- 62% less beta alanine
- 81% less L-Citrulline equivalent (1.5 g of Arginine AKR, similar to L citrulline)
- ProSupps Dr. Jekyll Intense Pump -- $25.82 for 30 doses ($0.86 per dose)
- 50% less caffeine
- 38% less beta alanine
- 81% less L-citrulline
- Jacked Factory NitroSurge -- $24.99 for 30 doses ($0.83 per dose)
- 62% less beta alanine
- 25% more caffeine
- ($0.62 per dose)
- Even though this is cheaper, it has 10% less caffeine, 68% less beta alanine, and 75% less L-citrulline than the above recommended doses.
Not ready to make your own? Buy great pre workout on Amazon.
Making your own pre workout is cheapest and most reliable way to get the most out of your workouts.
Try making your own today!