Updated the spreadsheet to (hopefully) be a little easier to use. Please use the feedback form if you have any suggestions for improvement.
Created by John Sheaffer (aka Johnny Pain), the GreySkull LP (GSLP) Program is a fantastic 3 day per week routine for novice lifters. By correcting some of the shortcoming of other popular novice programs (e.g. Starting Strength, Strong Lifts) by incorporating basic linear progression, GreySkull LP is a solid choice for beginner programs.
John Sheaffer also wrote an accompanying book for GreySkull LP, available on Amazon.
GreySkull LP progresses weight workout to workout (similar to other novice linear progression programs), but allows for additional volume through AMRAP sets (these are denoted by “5+”) where the lifter should achieve as many reps as they can without their form breaking down. This can allow for the lifter to develop a higher work capacity than programs like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts that have the lifter stop at 5 reps on their last working set.
- Input your 1RM for the various lifts on the “Setup” tab. – Input rounding on “Setup” tab. Use 5 for lbs and 2.5 for kgs.
- The “rep target” value refers to how many reps must be achieved in a set to add weight to your working sets. You can probably leave this as-is, but you can adjust it if you’d like.
- The “increment” value refers to how much weight is added to your working sets after each session when the rep target is achieved. Again, you probably don’t need to adjust this at first but it’s there if you need it.
- You’re now ready to train.
- Input the reps achieved in each green cell. These are your working sets. Please note that you have fewer working sets for deadlifts.
To run the program multiple times simply make a copy of your existing spreadsheet in Google Sheets (I like to put the date I started the program in the title for easier record keeping) and plug in your new maxes.
GreySkull LP Program Spreadsheet
This is a 6 week program but can be run for as long as it is effective for an individual lifter. To best utilize the program, it is definitely recommended that you check out Johnny Pain’s GreySkull LP book.