Last Updated on
Written by Calgary Barbell, the 16 week and 8 week programs are designed to improve the squat, bench press, and deadlift of the athlete in preparation for a powerlifting meet. You can, however, run them even if you’re not prepping for a meet. Both programs are quite similar, with the primary difference between the two being that the 16 week program has a more full progression of each lift, whereas the 8 week program is more a training snapshot.
Update: Added “Revised” version of the 16 week of the program that as floating around Reddit. I also edited the original spreadsheets to make them work with LB or KG very easily.
- 1 16 Week + 8 Week Program Summary:
- 2 Calgary Barbell 16 Week Program Spreadsheet KG + LB (Original)
- 3 Calgary Barbell 16 Week Program Spreadsheet KG + LB (REVISED)
- 4 Calgary Barbell 8 Week Program Spreadsheet (KG + LB)
16 Week + 8 Week Program Summary:
- 4 training sessions per week
- Squat 3x per week*
- Bench 4x per week *
- Deadlift 3x per week*
- Uses a combination of 1RM % and RPE to program load
- The “Revised” version of the spreadsheet allows the athlete to customize a % for each RPE rep range to make weight selection a bit simpler. But remember, the point of RPE is to reflect the athlete’s strength that day. These suggestions are flexible.
- Includes taper week if preparing for a powerlifting meet
*Includes competition lift and variations
Calgary Barbell 16 Week Program Spreadsheet KG + LB (Original)
Video: About the 16 Week Program by Calgary Barbell
Calgary Barbell 16 Week Program Spreadsheet KG + LB (REVISED)
- This is modified version of Calgary Barbell’s 16 Week program. What changed? Weights that were based on RPE (e.g. 3×5 @RPE 8) have been converted using a % of 1RM estimation to recommended loads.
- So 3×5 @RPE 8 would turn into 3×5 @ 86%.
- Since the entire point of RPE is to modify your workout based on daily strength fluctuations, these estimations should be taken with a grain of salt. They are flexible suggestions. It is OK to lift less or more than the recommended value.
- If you feel so inclined, you can modify the table below to your own preferred % estimation.
Calgary Barbell 8 Week Program Spreadsheet (KG + LB)