The Coolcicada PPL is a popular 6 day PPL that originated from a BodyBuilding.com forum member. The original thread is here. It has since gained great notoriety as an effective program for building strength and muscular development in many lifters.
As it is a PPL, it is a flexible template that does not need to be strictly adhered to with respect to exercise selection, but if it is your first time running a PPL program then it is advised to do it as written for at least 12 weeks.
For more, check out Lift Vault’s collection of PPL Programs.
Coolcicada PPL Program Overview
- 6 day PPL split
- You can run it as: PPL[rest]PPL or PPLPPL[rest]
- You can run it back to back as long as you continue to make progress
- The general exercises are as follows:
- Push Day (shoulders/tricpers/chest)
- bench press: 3×5
- overhead press: 3×5
- incline bench press: 3×5
- dumbbell side lateral raise: 3×10-12
- tricep pushdowns: 3×10-12
- overhead dumbbell extension: 3×10-12
- shrugs: 3×10-12
- Pull Day (back/biceps)
- [optional] deadlifts: 1×5
- barbell rows: 3×5
- lat pulldowns: 3×8-10
- seated rows: 3×8-10
- facepulls: 3×10-12
- barbell bicep curls: 4×10-12
- alternate bicep curl: 3×10-12
- Leg Day (quadriceps, hamstrings, calves)
- squats: 4×5-6
- leg press: 3×8-10
- leg extensions: 3×10-12
- hamstring curls: 3×10-12
- standing calf raises: 5×10-12
As you can see, this isn’t rocket science. Generally speaking, you’re hitting a heavy compound movement for 3 to 4 sets of around 5 reps, followed by two accessory movements per body part for 3 or 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
If you don’t like a particular exercise for the biceps, shoulders, triceps, etc., then swap it out.
Below you’ll find two spreadsheets for the coolcicada PPL: one with deadlifts and without deadlifts. Unless you have a good reason not to, you should be doing deadlifts.
Coolcicada 6 Day PPL Spreadsheet (with Deadlifts)
both spreadsheets via /u/AngryJazz
Coolcicada 6 Day PPL Spreadsheet (without Deadlifts)